January 03, 2021

Old-aged Benefits!! A Heart Touching Story

The last phase of everyone's life is of 'Old aged' and people of long lives can not avoid it. Many says that there are no benefits being old aged, as you can not eat properly, can not walk properly, your organs do not function properly and you become burden to your family members for taking care of you. 

Once a wise man asked Dr. Tiny Nair, Chief Cardiologist of PRS Hospital that 'What is the benefit of being aged or being retired'? He gave a nice answer. Let me tell you the answer in this content today. 

He said that 'most people believe that there is no retirement benefit and old age help in India.' 'They are wrong. Here is why.'

Elderly, white hair, Fragile but looked pleasant, an elderly man came in with a complaint of chest pain previous night. The ECG showed features of severe ischemia suggestive of blocks in the heart. 

Even at the age of 82 it was too abnormal and warranted admission. The young casualty duty medical officer with his new MD degree made a correct diagnosis and dutifully arranged to admit him in the intensive coronary care unit, and send him in a trolley.

When I went to see the patient, the scene was different. The patient’s two (grown-up) children were standing on two sides of the bed, son on to his right and daughter on to his left. And both were shouting at each other at the top of their voice. Not sure as how best to tackle the situation, I decided to be a passive listener.

“It is your entire fault that dad got a heart attack”, shouted the son.

“You never looked after him properly. You just kept him with you to get hold of his property, I know”. retorted the salwar clad daughter.

“And now you want me to pay for his hospital bill”?

“My my, that from a daughter who never visits his father”

“You have to pay for his bill. I have no money; my kids are in college. And the reason for his attack is because your wife ill treats him all the time” the daughter’s verdict was clear.

I avoided them both. I smiled to the elderly man. Before I could say something, he held my hands.

“Ohh my dear son, So you are the doctor. I had some pain last night now I am fine. Meet my children, my son and daughter. Both are so attached to me that they wont leave me. They forced me to come to the hospital. By the way I am little short of hearing, if there is anything serious tell my children….”

I suddenly realized that the man was stone deaf. He could have never listened to the argument of his children. His cataract prevented him from seeing their angry faces.

That moment I could see through and appreciate Gods schemes. 

As you grow old, he turns your voltage down, which in turn dims your vision (call it cataract), he reduces your reception (nerve deafness), stiffens your joints (osteoarthritis) just to make sure that you take the bumps of life more comfortably. 

➥ Moral : The age related dementia is meant to make sure you forget traumatic past events quickly. Despite a bad environment you can be happy. 

You see less evil, hear less evil and with your restricted mobility you perhaps do very little, evil or whatever.

So take this 'old aged' related problems as advantages that God gives us as 'Retirement Benefits'.

No comments:

Post a Comment