May 15, 2020

TRUST... An important aspect in Work Culture......

Last week I was going through an article written by author Brigette Hyacinth, it was on the subject 'TRUST' at work place. How do we define the 'Trust', which can be visible, can be measured and can be felt. And she started narrating her experience through an interaction dialogue. 
As it goes like this....

My new employee asked me one day for time off. I immediately approved it. She was shocked and asked, "Don't you want to know the reason why?". My reply was, "I don't need to know the details. I hired you to get the job done and I trust you to get it done."

You choose how to get your work done. Come to the office fine. 9 am to 5 pm? Fine. Working from home, fine. Leave early, Fine. Work from the garage while they fix your car? Fine.

We are all human. I don't need to know you will be late because of a doctor's appointment, or you are leaving early to attend a personal matter.

It's sad how we have infantilized the workplace much, that employees feel the need to apologize for having personal lives. I am not a clock watcher. I trust you to get your job done. Keep clients happy. I am happy.


The future lies in flexible work patterns.

Couple of years back when I was working for another hotel group in Hyderabad, one day I was in need to leave the office early at 5:00 pm, and while I was punching out on the biometric system, one of my close colleague teased me by saying, 'Oh! You are done with your job so early?' I couldn't reply him in harsh way that moment as I was in serious mood to leave.  Later I was thinking about the people how their mentality is. They don't seem to see the world in different perspective, although they want to have all the facilities and benefits.

I am sure when you do trust on your team members on the basis of their hard work and commitment to responsibilities, you should empower them to be open to you. And that can only be possible by creating the environment of trust.




No comments:

Post a Comment