June 06, 2020

Be the 'SHOULDER' to support !!

After finishing my scheduled webinar yesterday I was going through the list of attendees against their Employee IDs to record it in attendance sheet and I received a text from one of our team member. 
It was not the regular one. The message had a tensed, confused and pleading voice. I was taken aback for a moment, called the employee in curious voice to understand the meaning of that message. 
There I realized that CHIRAG (the employee, name changed) was being laid off from his job.
He was not crying nor complaining to me about anyone, instead he was seeking inspiration from me to be strong enough to handle the situation.
We all know that the current COVID-19 pandemic situation is not only affecting the human lives but also it is hampering the business in all segments. As a result many have lost their jobs meanwhile and many will probably in upcoming days. 
CHIRAG was not the exception in this rule, he was also axed from his duty. I know him since last three years when he did his industrial training from a hotel where I was the L&D Manager at that point of time. 
Very dedicated, calm minded and with positive attitude he always performs his task with his lovely smile. No complains about the colleagues or job. A true HEARTIST one can call him. He was working in his current organization since almost a year. Got appreciated by his managers multiple times.
When he was requesting me to charge him up to face such challenging situation, I was overwhelmed for a moment. I connect hearts all around me. Probably that is much needed as my profession demands every time and I have shaped myself up to it. 
I calmly listened to him first and then advised few tips to tackle the situation with brave mind. After almost 15 minutes, Chirag had his smile on face and expressed his confidence to handle himself. 


Few of his words were struck in my ear, I remember he was mentioning, 'Sir, after getting this bad news I just though to call you only, as I know you are the one who can motivate me to handle the situation.' My eyes were filled with tears for a moment after hearing from him. 
When we undergo a difficult phase in our life, we seek for someone to listen to us, we search for a shoulder to support us motivate us and makes us stronger.
And at this point I was being put to inspire someone. I tried my best to charge him up and became partially successful. Partially because although I know what the person is undergoing now is controlled after the mentoring session, but in his heart he must be shocked and still not ready to accept the fact which just happened to him.
A golden line which over the period of time I frequently use when in difficult time is 'Consider this as New Beginning', start from here as your another innings is yet to start. Be positive, stay calm, tell yourself that 'I can handle this'. This time too shall pass.

At the end I felt sorry for Chirag, but felt happy that I offered myself to be the shoulder for his mental support. God bless him.


No comments:

Post a Comment