August 21, 2020

The Success or Failure at your current job is your BOSS !!

As a regular practice, I do scroll down the updates in my linked-in page everyday - multiple times to catch-up quickly what's happening in the world. While surfing the articles I found yet another interesting concept article written by one of my valued connection (in Linked-In) Brigette Hyacinth, The author of 'Leading the workforce of the future' book, which recently got selected as the best selling book.
What she mentioned is 'The biggest factor in whether you succeed or fail in your current job is your boss. If your boss doesn't like you, they will not give you opportunities to grow and can easily set you up to fail. You will be on shaky ground'.

What attracts me here is the resemblance of the lines in my life. I had experienced the same word to word in terms of good and bad both. 


I still remember one of my former General Manager, Mr. Ranjeesh P.K., how great leader he is. I got opportunity to work with him ten years back in one of the leading hotel group as Training Manager. 
The way he deals with his colleagues, provides enough opportunities to team members to grow and establish themselves as a good employee / manager. He never gets offended for loosing his patience or experiencing failure in his team; instead he inspires people to fight back for success. 
Inspired by his leadership styles, many of his direct reports achieved great success and they are in well established designation today. My professional base was strengthened by Mr. Ranjeesh P.K.  

Off late, I also experienced one of my recent boss, who possessed exactly the opposite attributes. He is someone, who can be portrayed in many words - 
an insecure individual
 loves to butter his boss to keep him happy always
 can not handle fair criticism from anyone
 wants to hold control of his subordinates all the time
 uses power to take advantage of being boss
 can't be trusted 
 creates an environment of fear or authority to lead.
 always says in word that 'he doesn't like politics' but 'he is the one who does the most'.
 spying on employees to get personal information.
................and probably many more.

But fact remains here is what happens if you have a boss like him to work with? Simple...
As Brigette says, 'He will definitely set you up to fail'.
I experienced the same and I will never forget those moments in my lifetime. Probably I shall share the experience in form of a story some other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment