November 25, 2020

Two Golden Hearts of India | An Amazing Story !!

Today, I am going to share a story of two Golden Hearts of India. This story I got to know from my professional guru, Mr. Ashwin Shirali, during a fruitful interaction over internet.

The story goes in this way......

Image courtesy to this site.

Once, as Indian President, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam visited Coonoor and came to know that Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw was in the Military Hospital there. APJ wanted to visit Sam, which was unscheduled. 

Arrangements were made. At the bedside, APJ spent 15 minutes talking to Sam, enquiring of his health. Just before leaving Kalam asked Sam: “Are you comfortable? Is there anything I can do? Are there any issues?  Or anything that would make you more comfortable?”

Sam said: “Yes, Your Excellency, I have a grievance!" .

Shocked with concern and anguish, Kalam asked what it was.

Sam replied: “Sir, my grievance is that I am unable to get up and salute my most respected President of my beloved country"

Kalam held Sam's hand; both were in tears. But the remaining part of the tale is that Sam did tell APJ that his pension of the Field Marshall’s rank remained unpaid till then, for nearly 20 years. An aghast President went to Delhi and passed the pension with arrears within a week and sent the cheque of nearly Rs 1.25 CR through the Defense Secretary by a special plane!

That is the greatness of APJ. But when Sam received the cheque he promptly donated it to the Army Relief fund!!

Whom will you salute now? 


Dr. Kalam and Marshall Sam during a lighter moment of conversation. Image courtesy to this site.

They are our two Heros with Golden Hearts, unmatchable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment